Saturday, December 29, 2007

News Fast

I'm doing it. For the next week, for the start of 2008 I will NOT read or watch any news. This morning's news made me decide for good. In the international news--all the pictures of the violence and brutality of the assassination itself and aftermath of Buttoh's death. In U.S. news the story of the daughter and her boyfriend who killed her family on Christmas eve, including shooting a six-year-old and a three-year-old in the head. In Japan the stories, back to back, of the elementary school vice principal who was handed a suspended sentence for paying 16-17 year-old-girls for sex and the 12 year jail sentence handed to a man for raping his own two daughters. So. This morning, after reading the news I feel sick, sick, sick.

Lets see how a news fast affects my psyche. I know that you can't just bury your head in the sand and expect anything to change. But overdosing on all the news has me down on my knees thinking about puking up the last bits of hope in my system. So. News fast for the new years it is. I'll let you know how it works out.

3 comments:

Christelle said...

I think your News Fast will result in an even happier Happy New Year! I am a bit of an ostrich myself when it comes to news. Living in Japan and having less access to English news has helped me immensely. I find local news from home the most disturbing- they always focus on rapes, attacks, murders etc. There are so many more random acts of kindness that don't make it in the news- I truly believe that. (I love the local Japanese news that features rice planting or the opening day of pool season). With my baby coming in 2008, I'd really like to believe that the world is not going to hell in a handbasket!

Anonymous said...

I hear you. Maybe I will join you on the news fast....it does affect your psyche.

kate hopper said...

I totally agree. I avoid the local news at all costs and feel so much happier when I don't read the violence in the paper. I tune in to public radio in the car and that's enough to keep me connected but not stressed and full of fear.